Monday, May 25, 2009

Graduation cake


Graduation cake, originally uploaded by CakeMyDay.

Finally, after a few hard years of work, I finished my PhD. Sure, I could have got someone else to make a cake but this would also be the first cake where I didn't have a voice in my head telling me that I should be studying :-)

The toughest part to this cake was the pattern on the side of the top 2 tiers. Trying to press hard enough for the pattern but not so much that the fondant would stick.

The biggest compliment I got was unintentional. Before I stacked the tiers I had the bottom one sitting on the bench. My mum came along and placed another real book on top of it thinking that she'd put them away later.

The top and bottom books are mud cake. The middle cake is a sponge soaked in vanilla sugar syrup.

Being an engineer, and according to my wife, a nerd, I made a scale model of it before I started construction of the real cake. This is about 3-4cm high (1.5").

Book stack - mini version

The bottom two tiers and the mini-cake.
Two of the tiers for the book cake

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing!!!!

    what an ispiration!!!
    I only hope that one day i can call myself as skilled as you :)

    I found you looking for a book cake or maybe an inspiration for mini personal book cakes for my daughters "super why" birthday party.
    Thanks!!!

    may i ask what kind of fondant you used?
    kind regards
    Charity

    www.charityskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh em ge! this is awesome. I wanted to try and make mini sugar books for my cupcakes, but im not really sure how to. Could you please give me some advice. It would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete