Monday, May 25, 2009

Lily's 3rd birthday cake - number two


Lily's 3rd Birthday cake - Front view

Cheeky monkey #1Lily's 3rd Birthday
Lily's 3rd BirthdayOne Toucan

I went for the big time. I saw a cake online that I really liked and had to try it myself. At times I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew but it came through in the end.

I didn't want to make tonnes of cake so I opted for polystyrene balls for the leaves.  It also has the added advantage of being light.  Covering them was easier said than done.  Polystyrene doesn't taste very good, a bit chewy for some peoples liking :-).  So, I made sure I covered them away from the main preparation area.  The branches are also polystyrene.  I normally would like to make everything edible, especially for a kids cake, but time was short and this was less hassle.


Trees in the making

The trunk was built from 3 mud cakes.  All the icing is fondant, including the figurines.  Making the figurines is the most enjoyable part for me but seeing the whole cake come together comes in at a close second.

Cheeky monkey #2Lily's 3rd Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment